At Fairhaven Floors we want to ensure a pleasant experience and inform you of what to expect before, during, and after your project. We’ve created a list of frequently asked questions and a project checklist for your convenience.
Q: Should I be in my home during the project?
Installing new flooring can be a noisy process. Although it isn’t necessary to move out of your home during installation, we do not recommend frequenting the area our craftsmen will be working in. If we are refinishing or staining your floors, we encourage you to be in an area away from the project as finishes carry a strong smell during the application and curing process.
Q: How much dust will there be during the installation and/or sanding process?
We try to use our equipment outside your home (weather permitting) to reduce the amount of dust. Fairhaven Floors uses the best dust containment equipment available, however, even the best equipment will not be 100% dust-free. Thought we contain approximately 95% of the airborne dust created while sanding, there may be small amounts of dust emitted.
Q: Do I need to remove my appliances if I’m having the floors refinished or installed in my kitchen?
The refrigerator, dishwasher, and oven should typically be removed. You can arrange for us to remove the appliances for a small fee, please make sure to notify our craftsmen of this service. We recommend that the refrigerator be emptied before it is moved as to eliminate spills. Please note that you will be responsible for re-hooking the icemaker on the refrigerator when the project is complete. After reconnection, we advise that you check the connection to make sure that is no water leaking onto your new floors. For safety purposes, we do not reconnect gas lines that are disconnected after moving an oven.
Q: What happens to our current floor?
If we are removing your old floor, we properly recycle the materials at our local recycling center. There are times where it is more cost effective to lay your new floors over your old ones, if this is something you’re considering we can discuss the options with your before the project begins. Not all floors are eligible for a layover floor.
Q:What about our baseboards or doors?
If you’re having solid hardwood installed, it could raise or lower your floors slightly. We can remove and re-install your current baseboard, install quarter round or shoe moldings, or we can install a new baseboard of your choice. Interior and exterior doors may drag after the floor is installed, we would be happy to undercut most doors. Please notify Fairhaven Floors if you would like any baseboard or door services as there is a small fee associated with the additional project.
- Installs: Prepare an area for wood acclimation
- We’ll deliver your wood floor approximately 1 week prior to install. Please prepare an area in your home for acclimation. Proper acclimation allows the moisture content of the wood to adjust to the conditions in the room. Acclimation times are shorter to laminate/engineered floors.
- Remove furniture
- Empty closets/pantries
- Remove items from countertops
- Draw blinds, lift or remove window treatments to protect fabric
- Kitchen: Remove oven, refrigerator, dishwasher*
- Bathroom: Remove toilet*
- Please keep children and pets away from any area that we’re servicing.
- Refinishing service
- This is an intricate process. Our experienced craftsmen will determine the proper grit(s) of sandpaper required and the number of sanding passes necessary for each grit. This will gently remove any old finish, scratches and/or embedded dirt, yet not allow too much wood to be removed with each pass. The floor may need to be sanded two to four times depending on the age, type of finish, and condition/species of the wood being finished.
- Stain or natural state
- If you’ve selected to have a stain applied to your floors, we’ll provide you with a few samples directly on your floor. The final product will look slightly different after the finishing coats.
- Your floors are not fully completed until all three (or more) coats of finish are completely cured. Floors will appear to have a ‘glossy’ look when they are still wet. This will subside within 12 hours.
- Allow 24 hours before walking on floors
- Allow 48 hours before placing any furniture/pets on floors
- Place felt pads on the legs of ALL furniture
- Allow one week before placing carpets or other area rugs on floors
- Do NOT use water on your floors for one week
If you have questions during any state of your service, please do not hesitate to ask. After the floors settle (1-2 weeks), if there are any areas that need our attention, please contact us! *Our craftsmen can help! There is a small fee associated with additional services.
Follow these simple steps and keep your floors looking brand new for years to come.
Hardwood floors have a timeless appeal and enhance the beauty of your home. They require periodic refinishing services to remove surface damage and get them looking like new again. After you’ve had a flooring service, follow these simple steps to keep your floors beautiful for years to come.
- Avoid walking on the floor 24 hours after a refinishing service.
- Keep window coverings closed for at least 24 hours after project is completed to prevent direct sunlight from reaching the floor.
- Wait 48 hours before placing any furniture on floors.
- Before moving furniture, place felt pads underneath legs.
- Do not drag furniture across floors.
- Minimize traffic in the area for seven days. The floor is more prone to damage during this period as the new finish is still curing.
- Avoid placing rugs on floors until one month after project is completed.
- Begin regular cleaning seven days’ after project is completed.
- Sweep regularly.
- Clean spills up from floor immediately.
- Use the bare floor setting when vacuuming.
- Mop floors once a week with a hardwood floor cleaner. We recommend using Bona Hardwood Floor cleaner and a dust mop.
- Don’t use water or soap on your floors.
- Don’t drag furniture across your floors.
- Don’t use bleach, acetone, or other solvents on your floors.
- Don’t use oil cleaners. These will leave an oily residue that is often difficult to remove.
Wood floors can last decades if taken care of properly. Protect your investment and keep your floors looking brand new with at-home care and regular refinishing services.
Not sure where to stay while your floors are being upgraded? Let us help you with your accommodations! Enjoy a stay-cation and when you get back home – your floors will be better than ever.
We’ve partnered with TripAdvisor’s Green-leader, the Hilton Home2 Suites in Bellingham to offer you the most competitive rates on lodging during your flooring service.
Nestled in the heart of our beautiful town, just two miles from Bellingham Airport; the welcoming Home2 Suites by Hilton Bellingham Airport offers easy access to downtown Bellingham, the Fairhaven historic district, the Mount Baker Ski area and Bellingham Bay. This modern, all-suite hotel is also within easy reach of lots of popular restaurants, brand name shops and specialty stores, wineries and outdoor leisure activities.
Unwind and feel at home in a bright, clean and stylish studio or one-bedroom suite, offering plenty of work, dining and storage space. Connect to your social media network with free WiFi, play music through the modern media hub and cook your favorite meals in the well-equipped kitchenette. Stock up on snacks, drinks and chilled meals at the 24-hour Home2 MKT®; bound for your microwave or refrigerator. Don’t leave your furry friend at home while your home is being upgraded- Home2™ is your pet’s home too.
Refresh in the beautiful indoor swimming pool or do your laundry while you clock a few miles on the treadmill in the innovative Spin2Cycle. Start each day right at this extended-stay hotel with free breakfast at the Inspired Table™. Make updates to your presentation or check emails in the Work Zone. The contemporary boardroom has enough space for up to 14 people and features the latest A/V equipment.
You’ve already made the decision to choose the most beautiful floors for your home, let us help you with taking the guess work out of where to stay during your project.
Click here to book your stay. Your promotional corporate code is already taken care of.